At present, there is much we say and do in Masonry without always knowing the reason why. Explaining these matters can be of real interest to members and assist in their Retention and possibly even in Recruitment.
In essence, the Provincial Oration scheme is designed to provide members, and possibly non-masonic guests, with an opportunity to listen to talks on interesting Masonic topics and also to provide a relaxed forum in which discussion can take place; after all, there’s more to Freemasonry than just rituals and ceremonies.
(1) Grand Lodge Orations: The UGLE approved orations have been written to raise awareness of the symbolism and allegory in our Masonic workings and to deepen and intensify awareness of the spiritual and moral traditions of the Craft. All are about 10-15 minutes in duration and have been circulated as part of the Grand Lodge Oration Scheme. They have been approved by a committee to ensure that they are suitable and that the content is historically accurate.
(2) Provincial Orations: These talks have been written to provide interesting yet lighter talks on Masonic related subjects and have proved to be popular in the Province. They are all 10-15 minute in duration and more than one can be presented so as to make for a longer talk.
(3) Temple of Athene Lectures: There are many important Masonic subjects that have been researched and presented by members of the Temple of Athene (Research) Lodge at their regular Lodge meetings. All the lectures are 30 minutes or more in duration.
(4) Lectures and Talks: There are members of the Province who have prepared other lectures and talks on Masonic subjects and are willing to present them to Lodges.
(5) White Table Talks: When a Lodge decides to hold a White Table meeting; a talk can be given, particularly on openness in Freemasonry and to explain the Craft in more detail. This is mainly for the benefit of the non-Masons present and is a useful way to attract new candidates. It is also a means to allay any sense of apprehension the visitors may have about our Fraternity.